Who you need to tell

Additional Information


After you’ve told family and friends about the death of their loved one, you can start informing various agencies about the person’s death.

You’ll need to contact the following (where relevant):

- Banks and building societies


- Local Council – to cancel Housing Benefits and Council Tax

- Department of Work &Pensions (form 344/BD8 will be supplied to you by the Registrar of Deaths and you’ll need to complete it and return with relevant pension or allowance books)

- Family doctor/hospital/district nurses – to cancel appointments and return any loaned equipment

- Local utility companies (particularly if a property is being left vacant)

- Credit card companies and store cards – to cancel and pay off outstanding balances

- Insurance companies – car insurance documents may need to be changed

- Dentist/optician/hairdresser

- Employer or professional association

You’ll also need to return the following (where relevant): 

- Passport to the Passport Office

- Driving License to the DVLA

- Vehicle Registration Documents to change name of ownership

- National Insurance Papers

- Library books and cards

- Premium Bonds – the Bonds and Stocks Office will need to be notified